UC Application – UC Berkeley changes freshman application policy
Important information for seniors using the Common Application!
All students using the Common Application to apply to private colleges must connect their Naviance
account with the Common Application. Ms. Carrel will direct students in this process and will be available
before (7:30 am) and after school (3:00 pm) in the Computer Lab. Ms. Carrel is also available during
lunch and tutorials. Please see Ms. Carrel to complete this very important and easy process
Common Application New Essay Prompts for 2015-16.
Once again, the Common Application has revised the personal statement essay prompts for the coming
application season. While students must choose a particular topic to write on, these prompts are still
broad enough to offer students flexibility in their essays. Here are the Common Application essay
prompts for the 2015-16 application:
1. Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe
their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your
2. The lessons we take from failure can be fundamental to later success. Recount an incident or
time when you experienced failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the
3. Reflect on a time when you challenged a belief or idea. What prompted you to act? Would you
make the same decision again?
4. Describe a problem you’ve solved or a problem you’d like to solve. It can be an intellectual
challenge, a research query, an ethical dilemma – anything that is of personal importance, no
matter the scale. Explain its significance to you and what steps you took or could be taken to
identify a solution. (Brand new prompt)
5. Discuss an accomplishment or event, formal or informal that marked your transition from
childhood to adulthood within your culture, community, or family.